Baudelaire on the Flaneur (was Re: Global Warming)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Apr 6 10:55:00 PDT 2001

> You live too far away from work, which is a common problem under
> post-WW2 industrial capitalism.

I wouldn't want to live in the neighborhood where I work. You wouldn't either.

So now what do I do?

When I lived in NYC, I had lots of friends who lived in Brooklyn and Queens who took an hour on a set of trains, etc. to get to work. Those neighborhoods were all established long before WWII, so I don't think your description works ... further, I have plenty of friends who live around London who also take an hour to get to work.

So what's the historical basis for what you're saying?

> Even by car, which for you is a much faster choice than others, you
> are sitting behind the steering wheel at least 50 minutes each work
> day.

That's an acceptable trade-off to me. Whereas taking public transportation is not.

/jordan