The left: still dying (was Re: European Unions)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 6 15:59:10 PDT 2001

Carl Remick wrote:

>I have been exposed to much theoretical hocus-pocus on this list
>over the course of years now, and I don't see that any of this
>strenuous obscurantism has done one whit to raise the left from its
>moribund state. What I consider "deeply conservative" is to indulge
>in pedantry that stands no chance whatsoever of connecting to or
>transforming mass politics at any point. Having until recently
>occupied a perch in the corporate world, I have, one might say, been
>in the position of an artillery spotter. And let me tell you,
>LBOers, *none* of the furious salvos of intensely academic
>commentary fired off here make the slightest difference to, or are
>even heard by, the business world.

I'm not sure why the ears of "the business world" are the ones we should be concerned about reaching, but 1) much of what goes out on this list isn't obscure or obscurantist, strenuous or academic or any other kind, and 2) what do *you* think we should be talking about? No one's stopping you from making the points you'd like to make.

Doug