European Unions

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 6 20:21:29 PDT 2001

Dennis wrote:

>Yoshie wrote:
>
>> First of all, why do you consider Engels' simple words to be
>> objectionable "jargon," while remaining unoffended by exchanges such
>> as the following?

>> >There's more than one kind of endogenist. Quoting myself from Wall
>Street:

>> Your response cannot but originate in your prejudice against Marxism,
>> since you don't find non-Marxist "jargon" objectionable.
>
>Didn't read this post till now. It's crap.

You mean the style or the content? If the content, why is it crappy? If the style, can you use simpler words of your choice & explain the same?

You are _not_ of an opinion that the working class don't have to understand credit beyond the use of pawnshops, credit cards, mortgages, etc., are you?

> > Secondly, a washing-woman and a data-entry worker, provided only that
>> they are literate, can learn to make sense of Engels's words. Those
>> who are illiterate, as many workers & peasants in poor nations are,
>> can still make sense of Marx & Engels, if the main arguments of their
>> works are clearly communicated to them orally.
>
>Perhaps. Depends on the person. The people I've worked with have enough
>trouble making ends meet and are too busy trying to prevent their kids from
>getting shot or smoking crack to ponder the meaning of Marx and Engels.
>Maybe you know more enlightened workers.

Have you taken a look at "On the Uses of a Liberal Education -- As a Weapon in the Hands of the Restless Poor" by Earl Shorris that Doug posted here in two parts? What do you think?

My father was a steelworker (the kind of worker that even a workerist would readily recognize as a worker) & is now retired. He has had a vast collection of paperbacks. I remember reading his books when I was a child: Marx, Nietzsche, Tolstoy, Dostoevski, Flaubert, Hesse, Mann, Akutagawa Ryunosuke, Tanizaki Junichiro, Natsume Soseki, Sakaguchi Ango, Mori Ogai, Takiji Kobayashi, etc.

Not all workers read Marx, Nietzsche, Tolstoy, etc., to be sure, but that's not because they are inherently more difficult to read than technical manuals for operating cranes, hoists, & other equipment that many workers have to read.

Yoshie