Rimbaud & the Paris Commune (was Re: Baudelaire on the Flaneur)

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 6 22:52:26 PDT 2001

According to Graham Robb's rather excellent biog. he missed the main event, but was swept up by a variety of communards, whom Verlaine introduced him too. Rimbaud did attend meetings of the Working Men's International, probably including some of Dr Marx's lectures, drunk, snogging Verlaine in the back row.

Robb's bio. does good work on his work as arms trader and imperialist in Ethiopia, too.

I'm just reading season in hell, quite magnificent.

In message <p0500190db6f401b03e6b@[140.254.114.190]>, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes
>>BTW, did Rimbaud participate in the Paris Commune?
>
>"Chant de guerre parisien" at <http://poetes.com/rimbaud/chant.htm>.
>
>"L'orgie parisienne ou Paris se repeuple" at
><http://poetes.com/rimbaud/orgie.htm>.
>
>"Qu'est-ce pour nous, mon c¦ur..." at <http://poetes.com/rimbaud/pournous.htm>.
>
>Yoshie

-- James Heartfield