The left: still dying (was Re: European Unions)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sun Apr 8 08:08:19 PDT 2001

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> I note with feigned surprise the conflation of "academic" with
> "intellectual" along with the implication that "intellectual"
> is the same as "intelligent" or "mentally competent." Can't
> think until graded and stamped by bourgeois institutions, eh?

Heh, heh, I'm glad that Gordon pointed out that conflation. There are plenty of intellectuals out here that aren't academia.

> I have to say, though, they I haven't found the material in
> this mailing list to be particularly obscure. In any case,
> I had my fill of anti-intellectualism in the '60s. (We
> should call it "Artificial Stupidity" and have machines do
> it for us.) Pomospeak is fun: you get to say things like
> "reinscribe", "situate", and "metatheory" about the most
> mundane problems. It's like eating one of those weird-
> upscale brands of ice cream, but cheaper, and it's probably
> not as bad for your teeth.

I've had some problems reading some of the posts on this list, especially the ones that relate to some current theory in pomospeak.

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe