The left: still dying (was Re: European Unions)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sun Apr 8 08:10:36 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Prominent right-wing intellectuals have backing from private sources
> & are often ensconced in think tanks. Left-wing intellectuals, in
> contrast, are quite often employed in higher education: e.g., Noam
> Chomsky, Grace Chang, Patricia Hill Collins, Evelyn Nakano Glenn,
> bell hooks, Mimi Ambramovitz, Andrew Ross, Edward Said, Howard Zinn,
> so-called "academic Marxists" like Pat Bond, Robert Brenner, John
> Bellamy Foster, Martha Gimenez, David Harvey, Richard Lewontin,
> Manning Marable, James O'Connor, Michael Perelman, Adolph Reed, Jr.,
> Alan Wald, Ellen Wood, and so on, and so forth. The Right won't
> suffer much in terms of intellectual production when higher education
> & the public sector in general are selectively cut back, because
> their main bread doesn't come from it, but the Left (who work mainly
> in the humanities & social sciences) do -- and the Right knows *that*.

It depends on which Left-wing intellectuals you are reading. I read plenty who aren't connected to academia.

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe