stockfund net withdrawals

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Sun Apr 8 09:01:23 PDT 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/08/business/08LEDE.html

in the middle of the piece ["The Rainy Day Is Here. Now What Do We Do?" By Danny Hakim] there's this:

....When the bears roar, investor sentiment suffers. Stock funds experienced net withdrawals of $3.1 billion in February, according to the Investment Company Institute, the fund industry's principal trade group. That made February the first month of net withdrawals from stock funds since August 1998, when investors were frightened by the near-collapse of Long-Term Capital Management, a multibillion-dollar hedge fund. Stock funds suffered another $9.7 billion of net withdrawals in March, according to a projection from AMG Data Services....

hadn't seen this before (proves nothing, i'm not following this stuff that closely) & at least the trend seems significant to me, but i've lost track of whether numbers like this are submicroscopic. doug?

john mage