Scarcity

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Sun Apr 8 13:48:00 PDT 2001

Haven't been closely following this thread, but I always liked David Harvey's piece on the population, resources, and ideology (old article from Economic Geography, 1974). Two tidbits from it: He recounts the story about how the Chinese delegation announced at the 1972 Stockholm conference on the Environment that there is no resource scarcity and environmental problems should not be discussed in those terms. Some Western commentators concluded that China must have vast reserves of minerals and fossil fuels that the West didn't know about!

He then discusses the terms "subsistence" "resources" and "scarcity" and how these terms are understood differently by Malthusians and Marxists. Marxists understand all of these terms to be historical and relational. "Scarcity" is not something "inherent in nature"--its definition is cultural and social. "Resources" and "subsistence" also can only be defined with respect to particular technical, cultural, and historical contexts. Scarcity presupposes certain social ends. Etc.

So human societies always have a number of options in approaching resource questions: changing its social ends, altering the social organization of scarcity, changing its technical and cultural appraisals of nature, changing its views concerning the things to which it is accustomed, etc.

Ahistorical, natural, non-relational 'scarcity' has no place in Marxism.

Neoclassical scarcity also has no place in Keynes. Of course, for Keynes there were other scarcities, if one wants to put it that way--in capitalism, there is a scarcity of demand, jobs, money.

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood [mailto:dhenwood at panix.com] Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2001 3:07 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Scarcity

Brad DeLong wrote:

>>In message <p0500191bb6f4544fa9e5@[140.254.114.190]>, Yoshie Furuhashi
>><furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes
>>
>>Justin, wisely:

>But--from the perspective of any previous millennium--we do live on
>Big Rock Candy Mountain...

But does it feel that way? There's no evidence that increases in wealth, beyond a certain minimum, make people happier (or lead them to report themselves as being happier). There's no satisfaction in satisfaction, as Freud put it.

Doug