The left: still dying (was Re: European Unions)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 19:26:54 PDT 2001

Well, maybe it's because I hang around the high domes. I mean, I find the editorial page of the WSJ as risible as does anyone with a brain, but I work downstairs from Richard Posner and Frank Easterbrook, and with a lot of smart right wing U of C law grads. \ I will say this: the basic core of right wing ideas is simple and stupid: markets good, government bad, private property holy, democracy satanic. But then the basic core of left wing ideas is pretty simple too, though we hope not stupid. However, and this is a big however, a lot is in how it is played out and articulated.

Thirty or so years ago, the right hada bunch of embarassing cranks to strut their stuff. Now, they have an elite of smart and articulate people--and I don't mean no-forehead types like Olasky, and no-head types like David Horowitz. I mean the likes of Posner, people who are really interesting thinkers.

Thirty years ago, even twenty, we had a lot of people like that. To the extent we still do, they are the same people; it's depressing, especially when you consider that Chomsky is is in mid-70s, for example. Doug, _you_ are one of the brighter lights of the left intelligentsia these days. You are pretty damn good, but don't you find that a bit frightening? We used to have Sartre squaring off with Camus and Merleau-Ponty. That was something a bit like ideological hegemony. Zizek's clever, but "I knew Jean Paul Sartre. He's no Jean Paul Sartre." --jks