European Unions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Apr 8 21:23:02 PDT 2001

John Lacny wrote:

> Doug has it exactly right. I've always thought that contempt for the
> intelligence of the average person was the corollary to
> anti-intellectualism.

As someone noted, "intellectual" ought not be used as a synonym (or antonym!) for "intelligent." And probably "intelligent" or "stupid" (see Gould) (like rational and irrational) ought only to be applied to ideas or arguments, _not_ people. Flames and semi-flames are a result of taking opinions as an index to "intelligence," equating a stupid idea with a stupid person.

Carrol