AAAS

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Mon Apr 9 11:23:29 PDT 2001

At 02:07 PM 4/9/01 -0400, Marco Anglesio wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> > > There's nothing good about being a freeloader
> > Except not everyone can/should be a producer.
>
>Touche, but it begs the question: why can't anyone who has the smarts to
>absorb information play a role in either its production of its
>dissemination? You don't have to be an active researcher to teach someone
>who knows less than you, for example.
>
>I would think that very few people - if any - can make no contribution.
>Except, unfortunately, those that don't want to make a contribution.
>
>m.

you said yourself that you don't have time to engage in active development. it's part of your work to develop software. you learned somewhere down the line. i understand the impulse. since getting involved in this business i've been overwhelmed by the curiosity and lust for the time to master _everything_. i managed to blow off a major amount of time the other night figuring out linux skins/icons. it was pathetic. but now i'm paying for it, as much as i enjoyed it, because i'm behind in my work! :)

developing software, let alone acquiring the skills to do so, has no room in my line of work. i have more than i can possibly keep up with as it is, whether i am teaching college or training clients about information security. instead, i spend time keeping clients' tech departments abreast of the latest security holes in this software--and none of our clients are microsoft shops.

kelley