redeploying server farms

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Mon Apr 9 17:30:49 PDT 2001

Are we missing something here about the way computers work?

The majority of the cost is not in the hardware (memory is cheap) but in the software, customization, and maintenance of systems.

Just a week or so ago the Los Angeles Times ran an article about companies who bought into the idea of supply-chain software and ended up eating it. They were going to streamline their operations. The only problem was, the stuff didn't come in shrink-wrapped packages like the stuff from Egghead and install as easily as a CD copy of some computer game on one's personal computer. They forgot that the data in their particular industries required that the software be extensively "configured" and programmed (and the programming being unique, and highly layered, it tends to be bug-prone in ways that software used by hundreds of thousands of consumers isn't).

Supposedly half of the companies underestimated cost and deployment time by at least half. Some bought the software and virtually sat on it, bcause they couldn't get other deparments to buy into the changes it required; others couldn't get it customized correctly because they skimped on the necessary programming staff.

My point isn't to applaud the various dubious things that software is used for, just to point out that everyone has been talking as if it is all about hardware, which is "cheap" and "easily configurable" -- kind of like plugging in a toaster or refrigerator.

Peter Kosenko

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:05:40 -0700 (PDT)