lbo-talk-digest V1 #4193

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Apr 9 23:47:26 PDT 2001

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:38:27 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) From: DMJ <djenning at subdimension.com> Subject: Re: I have a new hero

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Daniel Davies wrote:
>
> >I hate to say it, but the loathsome self-consciously hip weblog
> >Plastic.com actually came up trumps. If it weren't for them, I
> >would never have found out about the finest human beings in the
> >journalistic profession. As soon as I get some spare time and
> >access to a livery stables, Paul Krugman better say his
> >prayers. And Toby Young. And Amity Shlaes of the FT has been
> >pissing me right off of late.
> >
> >http://www.exile.ru/113/lead.php
> >
> >There is a God. And these guys work for him.
>
> Anyone tempted to skip this link, think again. It's extraordinary &
miraculous.

And kinda gross, but not without reason. As someone who's been following Colombia fairly closely recently, I can say that it would indeed take a stable full of virile horses to give the hacks at the Times their due. And then there's Newsweek, Time, WP, AP, ....

- -david

Matt Taibbi and Mark Ames are egomaniacs who do way too much speed, but the media criticism at the eXile is priceless. Normally I would think tossing a pie full of horse semen at someone would be just a tad over the line, but Wines really is a rat bastard.

PS. There is a Russian-language sister publication of the eXile, Stringer, which does excellent stuff exposing oligarchs, etc. Which takes a Hell of a lot of guts, I might add. Oligarchs will shoot you. It astonishes me how much more plurality of opinion there is in the Russian than in the American press, even though the former is so wildly partisan.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal