redeploying server farms

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Tue Apr 10 09:05:12 PDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> >But one of the big buzzwords right now is "B2B",
> >"business to business": using the internet to transact with other
> >corporations.
>
> I thought that was last year's buzzword, in the dying moments of the bubble.

True, I haven't been hearing about it from the mouth's of PHBs, but we are actually doing it.

I was trying to point out was that while most Corps realise they can't *make* money off the internet, there is still hope that they can save money by using it. As an example, I'm in the process of replacing our worldwide sales force's dial-in system with an internet VPN, and we expect to cut our long distance costs in half even after accounting for the money we spent on the infrastructure to support the VPN. We're in a Chapter 11 filing right now, but we are busier than ever here in the IT department.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ For words are wise men's counters,--they do but reckon by them; but they are the money of fools.

-Thomas Hobbes