Scarcity

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Tue Apr 10 10:02:42 PDT 2001

When people tell me they want to return to the simple life of some idealized historical period I ask if they want to use the predecessors of toilet paper or sanitary napkins. In the rural US 150 years ago they used corncobs, as described in George Yenowine's nostalgic poem about the outhouse, and how when one "went out back" in the winter it wasn't so nice -- "for needs must scrape the gooseflesh with a frost-encrusted cob...."

And Edward Shorter discusses the other matter among many other distressing details in that great book A HISTORY OF WOMEN'S BODIES.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema