redeploying server farms

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Tue Apr 10 12:27:19 PDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Matt Cramer wrote:
> >But one of the big buzzwords right now is "B2B",
> >"business to business": using the internet to transact with other
> >corporations.
> I thought that was last year's buzzword, in the dying moments of the bubble.

You might distinguish between two kinds of B2B - B2B within an existing organization and companies that exist solely as a B2B vendor - a middleman. Middlemen are at risk whenever the economy slows, although they can still turn a tidy profit.

In consulting, which is the sector I work in, B2B projects tend to be much more stable, and much more renumerative, than brochureware or B2C. They're also much more likely to have a logical business plan rather than a pipe-dream; companies can be caught up in the internet hype in the process of bringing their business to the retail consumer, but there's nothing especially glamorous about supply-chain management.

Marco