Scarcity

brettk at unicacorp.com brettk at unicacorp.com
Tue Apr 10 12:38:06 PDT 2001

Doug asks;
>But does it feel that way? There's no evidence that increases in
>wealth, beyond a certain minimum, make people happier (or lead them
>to report themselves as being happier). There's no satisfaction in
>satisfaction, as Freud put it.

There is academic literature on human happiness. I don't have any sources handy, but I remember seeing a TV show on PBS which focused on this research. There were 5 factors which had been identified. Having enough money to meet your basic needs (food, shelter, etc.) was one (and people who don't have enough money to meet their basic needs are universally unhappy). And feeling in control of your life is another. I don't remember the rest.

But just by looking at these two factors, it is obvious that capitalism has it all wrong. Going to work and getting told what to do by your boss in exchange for a big (or paltry, as the case may be) paycheck is a formula for misery.

Jim responded:
>I'm not so sure. Doesn't this sound a bit like the argument that people
>are better off poor but happy than wealthy and troubled?

Well, aren't they? Why would you choose to be miserable? The implicit assumption in going for growth is that material riches make people happier. But if money doesn't make people happy after all, what's the point?

>'Standard of living', approximating to wealth in use values, has
>increased (albeit patchily).
>
>But in tandem to that social standing, approximating to the alienation
>of the social product diminishes.
>
>In other words the working class gets a greater mass of goods, but a
>smaller proportion of what is produced.
>
>The effect is that one's own productivity creates an alien power over
>you, capital.
>
>We have more things but less control over our lives. We are less happy.

I think this is true. In addition to less control, I also believe that inequality leads to unhappiness. If 10 years ago you and Jones each had one pair of shoes, and now you have 2 pairs but Jones has 4, it is entirely possible to feel resentful and left behind, even though you didn't feel that way initially. Rising inequality in the face of increasing overall wealth does not mean people are happier, and might mean they are less so, even assuming you have the same degree of control over your life.

>But unhappy with a greater expectations is a more positive state than
>happy with none.

How can you draw this conclusion? Isn't human happiness the goal? I want to enjoy life now. I find the notion that the GNP will double in 25 years to be cold comfort.

Brett