Scarcity

Ted Winslow winslow at yorku.ca
Tue Apr 10 20:18:40 PDT 2001

Doug wrote:

> I'm hoping that complexity could come without authoritarianism and
> hierarchy. I would not like to live in a "simpler" society, if that
> meant no antibiotics or fiber optics. So, I guess I'm trying to evade
> the forced binary, though I really wonder if I can.
>
> Doug

One possibility to consider is that technology is expressive of and in important ways constrained by the authoritarianism and hierarchy. If the latter significantly fetter imagination and insight, for instance, their removal could, for this reason alone, lead to significant improvements in technology.

Ted -- Ted Winslow E-MAIL: WINSLOW at YORKU.CA Division of Social Science VOICE: (416) 736-5054 York University FAX: (416) 736-5615 4700 Keele St. Toronto, Ontario CANADA M3J 1P3