So called "debt Relief"

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Apr 10 22:25:24 PDT 2001

This item (below) illustrates concisely that a system of redistributing money as if it were charity will always fail. We live in a total global economy in which the ability of some countries to accumulate surplus is as much a part of the global market as the inability of other countries not to go into debt.

It is indeed a zero sum game because the finite limiting factor is the amount of exchange value in the world, as predicted by the marxist law of value.

Yes it is good that campaigners campaign for debt relief, but we must move on. Campaigning for debt relief is a political trap which repeatedly scapegoats the debtor countries as indigent instead of addressing the need to control the *whole* global economy.

There should be campaigning to move debt repayments to a global development fund to which debtor countries can apply for their infrastructure.

Fantastic? Just look at this report. The leaders of the world economy simply do not know what to do in the case of Niger and Mali. The danger is they will just dismiss them as basket cases, or sadly deserving poor, and concentrate on what they think are bigger questions. Once more the problem will have been successfully projected onto the scapegoats.

Chris Burford

London