Scarcity

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Wed Apr 11 09:18:57 PDT 2001

There is interesting ethnographic work on the ways that different knowledges, technologies, medicines have been utilized in communities with little class formation, where capitalism has penetrated to differening degrees, etc. Maasai ilmurran (wrongly translated as "warriors") have become adept at modern vetinary practices and it is reported that the Maasai in traditional garb with hypodermic needle tucked into the robe is a common sight. Interestingly, while the technology is new, the role of the ilmurran as responsible for health of the herd is not. There are many other interesting examples. Bicycles and radios are new, but the institutionalized sharing is not. Maasai were the first in Africa to use the Colonial court system to try to reverse assignment to reserves. Thus, it has been noted that Maasai use new institutions, technologies, etc., to assist in *maintaining* their way of life. The developments that have had the most negative impact are commoditization, privatization, monetiziation, marketization. But even there, some of these have been used as means of preserving traditional relations and institutions. For example, selling some livestock at markets to raise cash for vetinary supplies, supplement diets, for motorcycles, etc. But the impacts are contradictory--commoditization has hurt reciprocity (people sell cattle, milk, instead of giving it away), and reciprocal gift-giving was crucial to social reproduction. Why anyone would think that discussing this indicates promoting mixing blood in our milk or becoming transhumant pastoralists is puzzling to me. But understanding that rotational grazing preserves the ecological basis for socio-economic continuity can inform contemporary policy with regards to use of common resources, etc. Mat

-----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi [mailto:furuhashi.1 at osu.edu] Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 10:53 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Scarcity

Gordon wrote:

>Doug Henwood:
>> I'm hoping that complexity could come without authoritarianism and
>> hierarchy. I would not like to live in a "simpler" society, if that
>> meant no antibiotics or fiber optics. So, I guess I'm trying to evade
>> the forced binary, though I really wonder if I can.
>
>Well, you're missing all the wonderful inventions the 23nd
>century will bring us. Eating your heart out?

Walter Benjamin wrote: "One of the most remarkable characteristics of human nature, writes Lotze, is, alongside so much selfishness in specific instances, the freedom from envy which the present displays toward the future. Reflection shows us that our image of happiness is thoroughly colored by the time to which the course of our own existence has assigned us. The kind of happiness that could arouse envy in us exists only in the air we have breathed, among people we could have talked to, women who could have given themselves to us. In other words, our image of happiness is indissolubly bound up with the image of redemption" (at <http://iwebs.upol.cz/kw/texts/history.htm>).

Yoshie