Conservatives Fear Bush Tax Plan will Help

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 11 17:19:35 PDT 2001

> Now, what does that mean pragmatically in a free society? It means it will
> be even tougher to achieve real tax reform -- to abolish the income tax,
> scrap the tax code, to dismantle the IRS. You see, half the population
will
> be getting, in essence, a free ride. They can then dictate to the other
> half. They can set the rules of even more intense class warfare. They can,
> in effect, further enslave the productive class.

I wonder if those likely to be persuaded by this will be able to get to the fairly sophisticated point that Nathan made about it. Aside from the fact that it is, in essence, an ad for a "news service," it proposes something that no conservative with two brain cells to rub together could advocate. Once we abolish the IRS and the tax code (some reform--how come the leftist desire to end capital isn't just "reform"?), what do these loons propose we do for a military or defense department? Or for a judiciary or to pay for a (vastly scaled back) representative government itself? Say nothing about the 3.5 billion in subsidies to farmers this year. I think the more insidious thing about this article is its use of stats to delegitimate the minimal progressiveness of the tax code to begin with. But I don't who, among those likely to read and be persuaded, will get that either.

Christian