Fwd: FW: NAFTA has harmed workers in all three countries

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Apr 11 23:14:44 PDT 2001

>Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>>May I make one more fruitless plea for somebody, somewhere to raise
>>the level of the debate?
>
>I doubt we have the same objections to this report, but I'm still
>struck by how it seems to rely on figuring the increase in the U.S.
>trade deficit since NAFTA took effect, dividing it by some average
>annual earnings figure, and assuming that equals the number of jobs
>lost.

That's a fine objection to the report to start with--especially since it then implies (an implication somehow unmentioned in the report) that NAFTA has been an enormous job machine for Mexico...

Brad DeLong