Scarcity

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Thu Apr 12 09:20:56 PDT 2001

This reply both ignores the fact that admiration of "positive social values" leaves room for rejection of other (not positive) aspects of societies and indicates a real lack of awareness of the heterogeneity of noncapitalist social formations with regard to the characteristics cited, and the degree to which these characteristics are not found in many noncapitalist communities, are much worse under capitalism, and require important qualifications in this context. Modern European Capitalist Anti-semitism makes anything else pale in comparison. Patriarchy is not characteristic of all noncapitalist communities and capitalist patriarchy is arguably much worse than many noncapitalist forms. Serfdom is hardly characteristic of all noncapitalist social formations. The charge of "illiteracy" ignores the tremendous oral literatures of noncapitalist societies, and the democratic integration of artisitc and creative traditions with daily life. Note that the term "primitive community" indicates that Hobsbawm is not here talking about feudalism, and especially European feudalism, which is what Brad seems to be primarily refering to. It would not even indicate major tributary communal-despotic formations. Rather, it would refer to those basically stateless, classless, communities. Again, why we are not able to learn from what is best about societies without accepting the mistakes is beyond me (unless it can be shown that the positive is inextricably linked to the negative, but that must be demonstrated, not assumed). In another context, why shouldn't non-industrialized nations be able to learn from both the mistakes and the advances of industrialized ones (use newer technologies without environmental destruction--with the qualifier given just above)? Mat

-----Original Message----- From: Brad DeLong [mailto:delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU] Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 6:42 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Scarcity

>In his intro to the
>Formen, Hobsbawm notes that Marx "found himself increasingly appalled" by the
>inhumanity of capitalism and that M and E "always admired the positive social
>values embodied, in however backward form, in the primitive community"...

Illiteracy? Patriarchy? Serfdom? Antisemitism?