Scarcity

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Thu Apr 12 12:35:02 PDT 2001

In ORALITY AND LITERACY, Walter J. Ong shows, as Kelley argues, that the two are quite different, and that literacy opens many possibilities that didn't exist before. He further differentiates societies where there was literacy in the written word, and others which are "typographic" where the gain in ego functioning, and abstraction that comes with literacy can become the attainment of the masses. Not only was print and publishing one of the first integrated economic activities, but the first best-selling European writer was Luther. The protestant reformation, and the other reformations (including the internal reforms of the roman church) that followed, was only possible because of literacy, where previous efforts like Catharism, had failed. Oral peasant cultures tend to be instrumentally magical in their supernatural thinking. Literate cultures tend to develop broader conceptions of overarching forces, like the Christian god, who is, as Durkheim would probably say, a collective representation of the market. As the market has developed, imaginings of god have developed too, in a wide range of ways. Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema