Cincy Uprising

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 12 14:57:19 PDT 2001

At 04:46 PM 4/12/01 -0400, yoshie wrote:
>1. Gun ownership can't explain racial profiling and police
>brutality, unless perhaps you are arguing that blacks are more likely
>to own guns than whites & that therefore cops fear blacks more than
>whites, but there is no evidence for this argument.

Blacks are significantly more likely (7 times as likely to be exact) as whites to commit homicide. They are also more likely (6x) than whites to be a victims of homicide; see: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/htius.pdf pages 40-41.

That supports my argument.

>3. The best way to decrease racial profiling, police brutality, _&
>the number of cops killed while on the job_ is to decrease
>unemployment, to raise the median wage, & to police less.

You miss the point I'm trying to make entirely. I am not for arguing for or against racial profiling. I am trying to move away from voluntaristic and moralistic 'explanations' of police behavior so popular among many lefties, and try to get into organizational/structural factors.

wojtek