Inheritance, Women, Eumenides, Etc.

Rakesh Narpat Bhandari rakeshb at Stanford.EDU
Fri Apr 13 12:21:20 PDT 2001

>CB:
>As to what the Trobrianders themselves thought, as I said Malinowski
>was contradicted by other anthropologists. May have been Reo
>Fortune, one of Margaret Mead's husbands.
>
>((((((((

Well, in this debate between Malinowski and Fortune, I have no idea who is right.

>And his general
>point that there is no universal model of fatherhoold seems obvioulsy
>correct.
>
>((((((((
>
>CB: Nobody here has said there is a universal model of fatherhood,
>so that would be a strawman's argument being knocked.

But I didn't present my comment as criticism of the argument of a strawman or anyone else.

>CB: Leach wrote a famous ethnography on Burma.
>
>Anyway, it isn't ignorance of the biological role of the father, but
>inability to determine which particular man was the father that is
>the hypothesis.

And that's the point; there may be ignorance of the biological role of "the father". More importantly, there may not be any particular man who is the father. our concept "father" may not be universal.

Yours, Rakesh