pre-capitalist sex

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Mon Apr 16 09:00:51 PDT 2001

At 11:26 AM 4/16/01 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:
>
>>The book came across to me as an expression of sanctimonious
>>schmuckery with a veneer of pseudo-objective social science.
>
>Emphasis on the pseudo. His sample isn't representative of anything in the
>statistical sense, other than being a reflection of Wolfe's sense of what
>suburban middle America is like. Quoting myself:

DOUG! it isn't supposed to be and he doesn't claim it to be. please don't criticize people on ethnographical methods if you don't understand how it works and only know statoid econodrone methods or something. see, m. burawoy's discussions about ethnography and different ways of using them to say something about society. we don't study individuals!

worse! he isn't supposed to have a representative sample. it's an ethnography and his sample isn't supposed to random or representative.

but, i already complained to you about how shoddy YOUR review of him was when you wrote it.

by reinforcing this crap about statistically rep samples you are reinforcing positivist methodology crap that is aligned with some of the worst social engineering crud around and you give no room for people like me and ESPECIALLY feminists who've used ethography and gotten denied jobs because they weren't "number crunching" and other nonsense.