Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 17 10:34:42 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Peter K. posted an interview with Hitchens:
>
> This is the next generation we're talking about.
> >Considering the unborn as candidate members-- potential members--of the next
> >generation; wouldn't that strengthen the argument for socialized medicine,
> >child care, prenatal care?

Counting pregnant women as humans and women rather than as incubators of the next generation might also "strengthen the argument for socialized medicine, child care, prenatal care." While reading Hitchens on Mother Teresa I (more or less successfully) try to forget his idiocies on women and Yugoslavia -- but otherwise I would prefer to get elsewhere whatever of use Hitchens might provide. Incidentally the focus on "strengthen[ing] the argument" for this or that is in itself of much political use is an illusion that journalists and academics are equally subject to. Left politics really don't have much in common with high school debate contests or academic journals.

Carrol