Hitchens No Orwell

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue Apr 17 13:13:22 PDT 2001

Scoffing Toward the Interregnum...

While there are plenty of opportunists left and right, I agree with Nathan Newman's argument about the importance of the left taking right-wing intellectual discourse seriously rather than just dismissing it. The right has framed numerous societal debates in creative ways.

One reason the left and liberals have lost so much ground, is the tendency to scoff at right-wing arguments, while millions of Americans are persuaded by them absent an effective and respectful counter-argument.

Excerpt: = = =

Carl Boggs sees ... people “increasingly alienated from a political system that is commonly viewed as corrupt, authoritarian, and simply irrelevant to the most important challenges of our time.” Lauren Langman agrees, additionally noting that “today many of those marginalized in the new globalized system, like many previous generations of the alienated, disempowered, humiliated and outraged, tend to gravitate” toward various right-wing movements and leaders such as Buchanan and Perot in the United States, Jean-Marie LePen in France, and Silvio Berlesconi in Italy.

Martin A. Lee says voting patterns in Europe demonstrate that far-right opportunists are riding the crest of a populist backlash against globalization. According to Lee this is “a product of democratic decay.” He says, “radical right-wing populism and its current fascist manifestations, which vary from country to country, [and] can only thrive in situations where social injustice is prevalent.”

Valerie Scatamburlo points out that while the Right has successfully understood the interrelationships between cultural, social, political, and economic concerns in popular discussions, many progressives have failed to do likewise. Meanwhile, left-wing intellectuals too often use “inaccessible and overly cryptic” language; or they simply dismiss the Right as “bigoted malcontents” without assisting activists by engaging in public debates over reactionary and oppressive policies.

[Scatamburlo, Soldiers of Misfortune, p. 229.]

[There are many creative responses to right-wing populism by progressive writers. See, for example, Albelda, Folbre, and the Center for Popular Economics, War on the Poor: A Defense Manual; Collins, Leondar-Wright, and Sklar, Shifting Fortunes: The Perils of the Growing American Wealth Gap; Cowan and staff of the Center for Campus Organizing, Uncovering the Right on Campus; Hardisty, Mobilizing Resentment; Pharr, In the Time of the Right; Reed, Class Notes; Sklar, Chaos or Community?: Seeking Solutions, Not Scapegoats for Bad Economics; Political Research Associates, Defending Public Education.]

= = =

>From Berlet, Chip and Matthew N. Lyons. 2000. Right-Wing Populism in
America: Too Close for Comfort. New York: Guilford Publications.

-Chip Berlet