slander of my beloved affiliate on your elist

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Apr 17 17:53:56 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> If anyone has a breakdown, I'd like to see it. I think that the
> disabled may be more often abused by their families than care-giving
> workers, especially when it comes to sexual abuse, just as children
> are more often abused by their family members than baby-sitters,
> child care workers, summer camp leaders, boarding school teachers,
> etc. I may be mistaken about this, however. What do you think?
>
> Yoshie

While there certainly is abuse within families (lately a slew of killings, for instance), many disabled children are separated from their families and put into institutions at an early age, so I'm not so sure the nondisabled child sexual abuse pattern would hold up here.

Certainly many children who are sexually abused as children become disabled as a result of that abuse. It would take a careful study, and maybe Dick Sobsey (director of the JP Das Developmental Disabilities Center) has some info here:

http://www.quasar.ualberta.ca/ddc/INDEX.html

marta