W, pothead

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Tue Apr 17 19:01:01 PDT 2001

> ><http://www.keepgoing.org/issue3/burning_bush_.asp>
>
> Good story, but an apparent April Fool's hoax. I've never heard of
> the political columnist, Conrad Learner, for whom the writer
> supposedly worked.
>
> -- Jim Cullen
> Austin, Texas

I agree. Very entertaining, but clearly fiction. And, it seems, lifted from the horrid film "Where The Buffalo Roam," based somewhat on Hunter Thompson's "Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72." There is a scene, supposedly written by HST himself, where Thompson (Bill Murray) is in a bathroom with Nixon. Thompson lightly grills Dick while washing his sneakers in the sink (then banging them on the porcelain edge, and sticking them on the hot-air hand dryers). The peak comes when Thompson asks Dick "But what about the doomed, Mr. President? What about the doomed?" And Dick, trying to take a piss (and struggling), replies, "Fuck the doomed."

"Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail" is filled with stories of HST doing drugs with various political and media celebs, including his supposed splitting a tab of black acid with John Chancellor.

DP