> Scaife 'n' Snitch (and the Hitch)

Rakesh Narpat Bhandari rakeshb at Stanford.EDU
Tue Apr 17 21:47:46 PDT 2001

Yoshie, I think what Nader says here about the causes of international problems and proposes as solutions is either impossible to make out or superficial and onesided or flat out wrong. These are not considered opinions. And there is surely no clear answer as to what he thinks the US or the UN role in Rwanda should have been. he intimates that the US should not intervene itself, that we need bigger international peace keeping forces--so is he proposing a bigger contribution to the UN? how would the US and the world community improve its intelligence and information dissemination so that it would be attentive to threatening developments before they reached their terrible end? would he allow US troops to participate in such forces? should such a force only been made up of troops from neighboring countries? what if the necessary cohesion was not forthcoming? As I said, there is nothing to go on here. It seems that Nader just didn't think about this very much.

> One expects a lot less ideological cohesion today than in the past
>(though it's not that there was unity in the past either).

OK.

>>I don't look at things the way someone like he does. Moreover, I
>>think elite support for a free trade is largely a sham--look at the
>>free trade act with Africa. Did the US open up its markets?
>
>On one hand, American leftists should oppose American protectionism;
>on the other hand, free trade agreements are mixed bags, which
>probably have more negative consequences than positive ones for poor
>nations in the short term.

Especially true of bilateral ones.

OK, like John G, I've got work to do, so I am unsubbing.

Rakesh