Dissertation Distress? (Re: Ethnography? )

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Wed Apr 18 06:38:07 PDT 2001

At 01:05 PM 4/18/01 +0000, Carl Remick wrote:
>>From: Kelley Walker <kelley at interpactinc.com>
>>
>>Yoshie plunged into a shallow sea of platitudes, and with the powerful
>>breast stroke of a channel swimmer, made her confident way towards the
>>white cliffs of Obstinée Folie"
>>
>>> ethnography which involves "observation of culture in situ" for a
>>> prolonged period of time
>>
>>you should stick to jane eyre or something. you are wrong. i have taught
>>a couple of courses on methods, qualitative methods in particular. i am
>>an ethnographer. i think i know what i'm talking about. the way to
>>distinguish between marketing research and social science is to be found
>>in an understanding of the difference between method and methodology. in
>>the future, please refrain from this sort of rubbish. you are a
>>intelligent woman who need not stoop to this sort of thing.
>
>Impressive. You're well on your way to a flourishing academic career, KW.
>You've got the requisite turf-guard capability developed to a high degree.
>
>Carl

do you honestly think i should sit quietly by as yoshie tells everyone what sociology is? or how sociologists use the term ethnography? i don't tell her how to practice her discipline.

criticism is fine, great. i welcome it. but the fact is, the crits are not new to me and they aren't new to most of us. so, having to listen to someone go on and on about the weaknesses of sociology is just a little galling. that's what i spent 2 days straight in an empty room with a pencil, paper and a screen and blank floppy: so i could write my comps and characterize the critiques/the debates and take a stand on them for myself.

i quoted for yoshie the leading text in our field, written by someone who knows his stuff. there are five volumes in the series on qualitative methods alone. if yoshie thinks she knows better, then she really ought to marshall a lot more evidence than what is yielded by typing "what is ethnography" at google.

thanks for playing.