class

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 18 07:11:03 PDT 2001

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>And not, surely, "What class do people think they are in?" but "What
>>class would (say) 20% of the working class think they were in after five
>>years of growing mass activity around a given set of issues?"
>
>You keep saying stuff like this, but where does all this mass
>agitation come from in the first place? Does it just drop from the
>sky? Doesn't the way people think of themselves and their
>possibilities determine whether the "mass activity" gets started?
>
>Doug

Russians in 1906 couldn't have foreseen 1917, I think. It must have been hard to predict the 1930s from the cultures of the 1920s; fascism from the cultures of Weimar; the Red Purge from the Popular Front; the late 1960s & early 1970s from the cultures of the 1950s; and so on. Social change of the momentous kind & tremendous magnitude in the future (even in the near future) is difficult to foretell based upon empirical observations of "what most people think" in the present.

Yoshie