Hentoff on Horowitz

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 08:05:08 PDT 2001

Yoshie, it should be obvious that just because someone has a bad position on X doesn't mean he's wrong about Y. Hitchens is anti-abortion as a moral matter (though he has said he is pro-choice as a legal one), a position that,a s I have argued with you before, is intellectually respectable if politically problematic, but Hitch is very good on lots of stuff. Marx himself said (in a family communication) that his favorite virtue in women was submissiveness. Hentiff is cranky about lots of things, but I like his First Amendment absolutism. Not that the Horowitz debate implicates the 1A.--jks