For Justin (Gombrich, Cassirer)

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Wed Apr 18 08:56:24 PDT 2001

I wrote:

...When Hitler came to power, Cassirer immediately resigned his post in Marburg, and took the job at Oxford, mentioned in the translated post. He then made arrangements to have the Warburg library moved to England to keep it from a likely nazis destruction...

----

This is a correction mainly for Justin on Gombrich.

I was just re-reading Gombrich's `In Search of Cultural History' to refresh my memory of him last night. Cassirer was at Hamburg (elected rector in 1930). He graduated from Marburg (studying under Cohen) and it was Hamburg's Warburg library, founded by Aby Warburg, strongly influenced by Jacob Burckhardt. Gombrich in his essay on Burkhardt and Hegel of course fails to mention Cassirer, Saxl or how exactly the Warburg ended up in London. Tsk, tsk. (This is the kind of omission that convinced me long ago that accurate scholarship is rare in art history or any where else. It's not the flat footed lie, so much as what is left out, what isn't said.)

Chuck Grimes