creative financing

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 04:46:43 PDT 2001

--- Gordon Fitch <gcf at panix.com> wrote: > Daniel Davies:
> > If a decent interval had passed between the two events,
> and
> > if some evidence of having attempted to pay off the credit
> card
> > debt had been shown....
>
> Some discreet kiting should suffice to provide the required
> decent interval and "attempts to pay off".

Don't even think about it. One of the less dubious "productivity improvements" brought by information technology to banking has been the more or less complete eradication of kiting as a fraud technique. For any bank big enough to be in the business of sending out database-driven credit card mailings, it's absolute child's play for a clerk to pull up and verify all the details of any payment. The inconsistencies will be pulled as soon as they take a look at your file, and will have the effect of making you look like a hardened grifter who needs to be made an example of.

In general, my practical (as mentioned, I'm not in the business of giving legal) advice to the readers of LBO-talk is not to attempt to commit frauds against the banking system. Successful fraudsters have a ruthless mastery of arcane detail and a certain thoroughgoing practicality of personality which successful left-wing academics and activists, don't.

This is, of course, completely different from the practice of personal financial management, including a sensible assessment of the sustainability of one's debt burden and the legal solutions available to an overburdened debtor under current and impending legal regimes, which I wholeheartedly encourage for anyone.

d^2

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell