creative financing

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Thu Apr 19 09:25:55 PDT 2001

i gather from this convo that you can Never default on your stud loan, right?

which is fine if you ask me. if, however, it was the case that you could default on your student loan and that people here would be imagining not paying back "the gov", then i'd just like to point out that doing so is absurd --unless you truly are penniless and unless this is some sort of Pivard and Clowen welfare overload strategy (and even then...). stiffing the gov is stiffing everyone. and the net effect of stiffing the gov means that people who need the money down the road will pay more. (which is why the vocabulary of statism and the use of the words "government" or the "state" to speak of how things will be paid for is so damn misleading -- so much so that i feel like pulling a Cox.)

e.g. one of the reasons _I_ had a hard time getting a loan as an financially independent 18 year old was because of the pieces of shit who'd defaulted on their loans in the 70s-- the infamous stories we had heard of docs and lawyers who never paid the money back. true or not, i don't know. but the net result was a crack down and some pretty severe limitations which meant that, at the time, there was a catch 22 for financially independent students who ended up having to wait three years to get any financial aid so they could go full time and get the loans.

your favorite neocon,

kelley