latest in Riot Control

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 10:53:08 PDT 2001

oops! now I'll actually send the article instead of hitting the Enter key too soon! :)

Scientists have invented a security alarm that will make burglars sick.

The device emits a screech that makes anyone within earshot throw up within seconds.

The Inferno gadget was devised by the Swedish army and took 10 years to perfect. A British security firm is launching a version for householders.

The sound has been compared to someone scratching long nails down a blackboard.

Corporate Security Services, based in Barnsley, South Yorkshire say the sound disorients anyone who hears it.

Business manager David Midgley said: "It's no louder than a standard burglar alarm but the noise is sickening - literally. I could stand it for just 10 seconds.

"We've tested it on a number of volunteers and the record so far is 80 seconds before the person had to dash from the room.

"A burglar wouldn't stand a chance. He'd have to run. The sound actually makes you recoil and stops you in your tracks."

The Home Office plans to test the alarm and may issue it to police forces to help them quell riots.

The Inferno costs £460 to add to an existing burglar system and £700 to install from scratch.

See this story on the web at http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_262024.html