Engels, Paris to Berne Re: Translation:

Thu Apr 19 07:05:05 PDT 2001

>>> crdbronx at erols.com 04/19/01 01:16AM >>>
Well, I'll be damned. Thanks. I thought it wasn't translated because the only place I ever saw it cited was in one of Hal Draper's books. Glad to have to admit ignorance. It's a very useful piece. Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:
> >
> > I don't think anybody's ever translated Engels' "Von Paris nach Bern," a
> > description of his walking tour of eastern France in 1848.
>
> See Karl Marx & Frederick Engels, Collected Works (International
> Publishers), Vol. 7, pp. 507-529.
>
> Carrol

(((((((((

CB: With respect to Engels writing about the same time on peasants more broadly ,

at,

http://www.anu.edu.au/polsci/marx/marx.html

Frederick Engels' THE PEASANT WAR IN GERMANY Written: Summer 1850, London Published: Neue Rheinische Zeitung, 1850 The 1848 uprisings in Germany put Engels in mind of the last great peasant rebellions of of 1500s. As he would later write: "The parallel between the German Revolution of 1525 and that of 1848-49 was too obvious to be altogether ignored at that time."

Engels demonstrates the failure of both these revolutions was largely attributable to the bourgeois/burgherdom (and thus underscoring the mdoern need for an alliance between the working proletariat and the working peasantry).

The Peasant War in Germany was the first history book to assert that the real motivating force behind the Reformation and 16th-century peasant war was socio-economic (class conflict) rather than "merely" religious.

ONLINE VERSION: Translated from German by Moissaye J. Olgin in 1926 for International Publishers. Transcribed for the Internet by director at marx.org in July 1995. Put online January 4 1996.

THE PEASANT WAR IN GERMANY --------------------------- Author's Preface: Second Edition (1870) Author's Preface: Addendum (1874) PART 1: The Economic Situation and Classes in Germany PART 2: The Main Opposition Groups and their Programmes; Luther and Muenzer PART 3: Precursors: Peasant Uprisings, 1476-1517 PART 4: Uprising of the Nobility PART 5: The Peasant War in Suabia and Franconia PART 6: The Peasant War in Thuringia, Alsace and Austria PART 7: Significance of the Peasant War The Twelve Articles of the Peasant Comments by D. Riazanov (1925) Photo of opening pages from 1870 edition