KCW on the PMC

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 20 04:23:13 PDT 2001

>Kelley Walker wrote:
>>
>> o Indeed, the debate over how to define and study class has been
>> central to the development of sociological theory.
>
>Kelley, this debate is really fruitless -- there is no common ground for
>it. Were you and I living in the same geographical area we might
>(probably would) be able to unite in terms of shared practice. And even
>in the rarified atmosphere of a maillist (as a browse through the
>archives would show) we share a good deal. But whenever the subject of
>class comes up, we are separate before we start. And I have argued this
>out with various sociologists going back to at least 1970. One can make
>the abstraction of "strata," just as one can make the abstraction of
>"humans-with-an-odd-number-of-
>remaining-teeth." The difference betwen them is that the latter is
>merely silly (though profoundly true) while the latter is a serious
>barrier to understanding capitalism. (Incidentally, the concept of
>strata is rather older than that of class -- it goes back to Plato. One
>of Marx's foundational achievements -- along with the recognition that
>what the object of knowledge is relations rather than the things related
>-- was his untangling of the concept of class from the trivialities of
>stratification. And the developed theories of stratification (from Weber
>on) have had no other real purpose or actual result (however expressed,
>and whatever the theorists _thought_ they were doing) but to hide the
>existence of the working class. Such theories probably also blur the
>outlines of the capitalist class, but it is the concealment of the
>working class from itself which is the real evil.
>
>Carrol

Non-Marxist leftist discourse on the so-called PMC (= false & useless abstraction, for occupations are not the same as & in fact cut across classes) is highly useful for neoliberals. Observe how neoliberals (especially neoliberals who used to be leftists) put their mastery of "developed theories of stratification" to good use. Fake populist demagoguery against the "PMC" -- doctors, lawyers, teachers, social workers, etc. -- is essential to the art of cutting back social programs for & making legislations more punitive toward the entire working class.

Think about the politics of student loans: propaganda against "deadbeat doctors" creating a wedge to decrease support for lax enforcement of loan collections, thus making it easier to enact wage garnishments & the like that assault workers. The tort reform propaganda attacks "greedy lawyers" to make corporations safe from lawsuits by workers. The bankruptcy reform began with exposes of "inexcusable abuses by the privileged" (= those who go bankrupt but remain rich, while weaseling out of their obligations) & then went after its real target: working-class debtors. The welfare reform used rage against "deadbeat dads" to make the lives of poor women miserable. Derogate "pointy-headed professors who refuse to teach undergrads" to diminish support for state funding for tertiary education. Scorn "incompetent public school teachers who couldn't care less about poor minority students" to avert attention away from atrocious inequality in public school financing. Low payments for public defenders -- justified on the assumption that saintly lawyers should & would work for practically nothing -- to take away the rights of defendants. And so on, and so forth.

Neoliberals (who are often neo-conservatives & know a thing or two about Barbara Ehrenreich & the like) are very good at making use of criticisms of the "PMC", male privilege, white privilege, etc. -- erstwhile specialties of leftists -- to attain their ends.

Yoshie