Students loans

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Apr 20 05:23:58 PDT 2001

Yes- you can work out a minimal payment option, essentially stretch it out into a long-term payment schedule. As I understand it, as long as you keep negotiating with them, there is a certain flexibility about repayment.

-- Nathan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Doss" <chrisd at russiajournal.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 7:12 AM Subject: RE: Students loans

>i gather from this convo that you can Never default on your stud loan,
right?

Right. Doesn't matter if you can't pay it and go bankrupt. They still have a legal right to the money. No negotiating or bargaining. In very rare cases, and I know of one, a women with a huge student loan had a major bipolar episodes, was put on disability and Social Security, and they finally accepted pennies on the dollar. Up until then though, no bargaining. At one point before this, they were taking about 40% of her (small) paycheck.

So speak I:

Is it possible to negotiate a minimal payment option? I mean, I DO NOT have the money. Moreover, I don't even have a fixed income that they could look at. There are no payment recepits in Russia, at leats not most places.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal