corporations as people

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 20 07:35:58 PDT 2001

Corporations were accorded fourteenth amendment protections as "persons" (for some purposes) under Santa Clara v. Southern Pac. R.R., 118 U.S. 394 (1896). The effect is to say they are entitled to due process and equal protection. Here are some cites:

Hastings Law Journal March, 1990

*577 PERSONALIZING THE IMPERSONAL: CORPORATIONS AND THE BILL OF RIGHTS

> [FNd1]

Carl J. Mayer > [FNa1]

University of Chicago Law Review Fall, 1987

Comment

*1441 THE PERSONIFICATION OF THE BUSINESS CORPORATION IN AMERICAN LAW

Gregory A. Mark > [FNp]

Georgetown Law Journal June, 1988

*1593 THE CLASSICAL CORPORATION IN AMERICAN LEGAL THOUGHT

Herbert Hovenkamp > [FNa]

Saint John's Law Review Spring 1999

Notes

*495 FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT PERSONHOOD: FACT OR FICTION?

Natasha N. Aljalian

Pepperdine Law Review December, 1991

*49 CORPORATIONS AS SHIPS: AN INQUIRY INTO PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY AND INSTITUTIONAL LEGITIMACY > [FNa1]

Art Wolfe > [FNaa1]

The Transformation of American Law, 1870-1960: The Crisis of Legal Orthodoxy. By Morton J. Horwitz. New York: Oxford University Press. 1992.

Fordham Urban Law Journal Fall 1995

*101 THE PRIVATIZING OF PUBLIC WEALTH

By Kary L. Moss, Esq. (My old boss at the Guild law center!)