Fw: Strange FTAA Dream

Noam B. Ascher noamish at home.com
Fri Apr 20 13:56:55 PDT 2001

Sorry for taking so long to respond, btw...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 5:55 PM Subject: Re: Fw: Strange FTAA Dream

> "Noam B. Ascher" wrote:
> >
> > There are some parts to this which make me go "argh, damn liberals," and
> > will do the same for most of you. Still, take out the reformism and
there
> > are some good hints on how to discuss these issues with libertarians,
> > dot-commers, and other groups for which most leftists have the wrong
> > approach towards (in my opinion).
> >

> What percentage of the population are dot-commers or libertarians? And
> do you want to "approach" everyone all at once? Do you think that
> leftists should spend their time talking to the people that are least
> apt to listen to them (regardless of what they have to say)?

Technically dot-com business owners, few. People with libertarian attitudes, and dot-commish LIFESTYLES in North America: A LOT. The fact that they are workers by our definition is irrelevent to them at this stage.

If you're talking demographics, look at how many people vote for parties none of us can stomach. Yes, to an extent, these people are brainwashed. But if you talk to them one on one, they are not stupid, and most of the time they're not as close-minded as you'd think. They put up some strong arguments, and I completely disgaree with them, but I find the conversations worth it. These hearts and minds are changeable, if you will, more than you think.

And *I'm* not apt to listen to any leftist *regardless of what they have to say.* There are some amazingly obtuse ideas in every nook and cranny of the political spectrum.