The farce of free-trade side-agreements

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Fri Apr 20 16:36:34 PDT 2001

An LB0-talker posted:

>[From the Guardian]
>Cut the blah blah blah
>Naomi Klein in Quebec City
>Thursday April 19, 2001

I sez:

Wow, this is good to see. A popular spokesperson for the "anti-corporate globalization" movement, putting a red-green spin on what ties together the mutlitudinous movements North and South -- i.e., making direct links b/w beating back the real subsumption of labor to capital in the North (i.e. expanded reproduction) and the formal subsumption of labor to capital (i.e. (primitive accumulation) in the South. Doug, you've interviewed Naomi Klein before. Does this red-green tack represent an evolution -- no, a revolution -- in her thought ? Before she seemed to focus so much on distributional issues (i.e. sweatshop wages and conditions in the South, superprofits and manufacturing job loss in the North). Anyway, since I'm always full of Frankfurtian doom and gloom, I'll say something positive for a change -- it is really great to witness a movement "popularizer" in coherent red-green mode.

John Gulick