corporations as people

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri Apr 20 20:31:54 PDT 2001

> I have no idea where Ian found this one, but decades before this judge,
> Henry Carey defended corporations using Fourierist language, describing
> the corp. as an agent of cooperation, meaning that the employees were
> cooperating.
********** Morton Horwitz' "The Transformation of American Law 1870-1960" the chapter on corporation theory.

Euro's fresh to the USA [according to MH] during the 19th century linked property to Lockean and Kantian/Hegelian notions of personhood/republicanist views of decentralization/freedom. The corps. undermined that, thereby deconstructing the relation between humans and the earth. Hence the origin of the US citizenry's abhorrence of the underbelly of scale effects of techno/economic organization and anti-bureaucracy sentiments... Richard Slotkin goes into this in a curious mixture of Marxian and Jungian methodologies in "The Fatal Environment"

Ian