The farce of free-trade side-agreements

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 21 09:17:12 PDT 2001

John Gulick wrote:

>Doug, you've interviewed Naomi Klein
>before. Does this red-green tack represent an evolution -- no, a revolution
>-- in her thought ?

Aside from having read her book and talked to her a few times, I don't know NK that well, but I don't think this represents a revolution in her thought. She's long been pretty sophisticated and thoughtful. I did happen to catch a bit of her reporting from QC while i was waiting to go on Marc Cooper's radio show last night, and she said the demonstrators are getting more radical - less likely to focus on trade agreements in themselves, and more likely to see them in a broader systemic light. In other words, less about "globalization" and more about capitalism, which brings a big smile to my personal face.

Doug