the bull is back

Bob Morris bobmorris at mediaone.net
Sat Apr 21 10:31:09 PDT 2001

>Has anybody called you for quotes about stock crashes lately? We all know
>that's supposed to mark a bottom :o)

>No. Not a peep.

IMHO, we are in a downtrend, if not a bear market, and I used the recent 399 point upwards spike in the Dow to sell my tech holdings, which had finally gone back to being worth what I paid for them.

I've taken the pledge. No more tech. For trading, I have a modest amount of Home Depot and Pepsi puts. Long-term I own energy like El Paso Energy, Cornerstone Propane (4th largest retailer of propane), who yields a plump 15% in dividends, and Nordic-American Tanker (owns three double-hulled tankers), who yields a wondrous 25%.

You may ask how a registered and active Green rationalizes trading options and holding Texas energy baddies stock. Well, trading options neither hurts or helps the company. In fact, some options trades are so ..theoretical and arcane.. that they exist in their own world, like in trading options based on OEX futures, which themselves are futures based on a stock index..

Some stocks I can't own, like Phillip Morris, just can't buy them, they are too ugly. El Paso Energy, the largest vertically-integrated natural gas firm in the U.S., isn't overtly harmful, like Phillip Morris denying cigarettes cause cancer. With more and more natural gas being needed to generate electricity, El Paso should do well. Should I not own them as they may have priced-gouged in California, where I live? If it were shown they price-gouged on a massive scale, I'd probably sell the stock.

Anyone else here trade stocks and have ones that can't own, for ethical reasons?