Student Loans & Bankruptcies (was Re: creative financing)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun Apr 22 06:25:15 PDT 2001

> >BUT, the illustration i provided was one in which the person
> >participating pisses on that public good.

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> Why should a public good -- education -- be provided through a
> complex "market" of private lenders, for-profit as well as ostensibly
> "non-profit," & guarantee agencies, all of which receive government
> subsidies? ...

Education is not necessarily a public good. From the point of view of the ruling class, it's a system to filter and select replacement members and servants. As such, a welter of variegated agencies involved in funding education for those who are not wealthy may serve many desired functions, such as testing the number of hoops the subject is ready, willing and able to jump through. Eager submission is no doubt seen as a desirable quality, now more than ever.

If, on the other hand, if we the public -- if there is such a coherent entity -- were to decide that what we wanted to do was (re)produce competency in individuals and groups, we would abolish the present system entirely and set up one designed to do just that. But "we" don't -- evidently. The system for social learning being completely subject to ruling- class desires and habits, then, things will probably get a lot worse before they get better, and scamming will continue to be intrinsic and multifarious -- little scams within the big scam.