Israel Divestment Campaign (was Re: Palestine: present and clear reality)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 22 11:19:55 PDT 2001

> >With regard to Israel, why not organize a campaign that is akin to
>>the divestment campaign against South African apartheid, targeting
>>both governments & corporations? Israel is an outpost of the
>>American Empire, helping the USA police the Middle East, just as
>>South Africa played the same role for Southern Africa on behalf of
>>the USA.
>>
> >Yoshie
>
>I've heard this is happening at Berkeley. A group called Students for
>Justice in Palestine has launched a campaign calling for the UC regents to
>divest from Israel, as they did with the Apartheid state of South Africa.
>
>Peter

***** Berkeley Students Launch Israel Divestment Campaign

The Students for Justice in Palestine at the University of California, Berkeley, are launching a divestment movement similar to the one that helped bring down apartheid in South Africa. In conjunction with ADC-SF, and experienced anti-apartheid activists, the group aims to pressure the University of California regents to divest the $3.5 billion (7%) it has invested in corporations with significant holdings in Israel.

On Tuesday, February 6th, SJP held its first public event this semester was the staging of a mock checkpoint at Sather Gate on the south-side of campus. Of its three walkways, one was labeled "Palestinians," and was obstructed by sunglass-adorned, cigarette smoking, IDF soldiers. They demanded identification from passing students, and bombarded them with the usual questions. A few SJP members playing different roles, were arrested by the soldiers, tortured, and abused. The middle walkway of the gate, was obstructed by 75-100 sitting, black-clad protesters, who held signs. The final walkway had a sign that read "Israelis" and was unobstructed. It was to illustrate the Palestinian Daily experience. Much local media, as well as the Associated Press covered it. Over 2200 informative leaflets were distributed.

It was also intended to publicize the February 8th teach-in on launching a divestment campaign.

The teach-in was well-attended. With over 150 people there, a petition drive was launched. Elias Rashmawi of ADC-Sacramento spoke about Israeli criminality, historical and contemporary. Phil Gasper, chair of Philosophy at Notre Dame talked about the South African divestment campaign in the 1980s and how to adapt it. Nadine Naber of ADC-SF related globalization to the Palestinian situation, and encouraged coalition with anti-globalization groups. Snehal Shingavi of SJP discussed the University's holdings, which he pointed out, include "$650 million in General Electric -- a company divested from in the South Africa movement." Petitions were circulated, with 5000 signatures as the goal.

SJP member Noura Erekat commented that "this campaign will be most successful when it takes on national proportions." SJP plans to outreach to other campuses.

SJP seeks any assistance, whether in experience, knowledge, suggestions, or financial, that is offered. You may e-mail the group at justiceinpalestine at visto.com if interested.

<http://www.arabstudentsjournal.org/Documents/Activities/act1.htm> *****

We want to get a similar campaign going at the Ohio State University as well, but we haven't gotten around to investigating the investment portfolio of the OSU & corporations with which it does business yet. Any comments, suggestions, etc. as to how to get relevant investment info, etc. will be appreciated.

Yoshie